Azure Site Extension for Storage Explorer

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I thought that would make a useful Site Extension, so I created one.

I don't know svn, so I ended up creating a git repo for the few changes I had to make.

To try this Site Extension, you can do the following (it's still an early feature, so the steps are a bit rough):
  • Create an Azure Web Site
  • For that site, go to the root of the Kudu service
  • Click on 'Site Extensions' at the top
  • Install Azure Storage Explorer
  • Click the Restart Site button
  • From the Installed tab, launch Azure Storage Explorer
Let me know what you think!
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Edited Mar 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Oh, and one thing I forgot: I changed the code so that it tries to detect the storage information from the environment variables. So if the user's site uses a storage account and has a connection string to it (defined in the Azure portal), Storage Explorer automatically picks it up with no configuration.

So the main scenario is to manage the storage account that's already associated with the user's site, rather than manage arbitrary other accounts.
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Cool!
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Could you share the changes you made to the project in order to make it a site extension?
Mar 23, 2014 at 4:44 AM
This shows what I changed. There really isn't much to making a site extension. Basically the nuspec file and the xdt file. And even the xdt will soon be optional.

In the end, any arbitrary web site can be a site extension (though of course it doesn't make sense for most of them).
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM
I see. This project is also at github. I believe the latest version is there...
Mar 23, 2014 at 6:32 PM
That looks like an empty repo. Are you sure that's the right one?
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Ooops! you're right!
I created it to use the github/azure web sites integration but haven't push it yet...

Will do it.